Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Names and Preference

Rebb, do you want me to call you Reb, not Rebb? Luciana, do you want me to call you Lu or Luli? I know Mares likes Mares. Vincent and Jitu, how about you? And any readers? I don’t want to drop an alphabet or add a few wrong ones. I rather call you in the name you like the best. So please let me know.

Most people have preference on how their names are called. I haven’t had any preference on my name. I wish I have. When people ask me, I always say whatever the name is fine with me. This is not a good answer, I realized. It sounds as though I’m lifeless and careless. In the past, people said, Kieko or Kaiko, but that was because they were non-Japanese and weren’t used to Japanese names. So I told them Kieko or Kaiko was fine. I meant it. We can’t expect anyone to get angry with foreign mispronunciation. Right? Anyway, long ago, a colleague of mine started to call me Cake for a short period. I like cakes. But I wouldn’t call it my preference although I don’t mind anyone call me Cake.

Growing up, I read “Ann of Green Gable,” “Little Women,” and other western books. Those western characters often talked about their names. Sometimes, they went on and on about their preference. I used to think why they cared so much about it? What made them feel that way? Their names sounded very important, so I envied them. Eventually, I concluded that their tendency was a sophisticated, civilized thing. I dreamed of having a preference someday. After all, Keiko is the most popular Japanese girl name. I wasn't fond it growing up.

But to this day, I still have no preference on my name. I wonder why. Do you think anything wrong with me? Perhaps, I haven’t matured in that area of growth? Some of you will be kind and say, “No, Keiko, nothing is wrong with you there, so don’t worry!” Well, thank you. But I just want to say once to someone:

“No, I don’t want you to call me Keiko, please call me “ .””

But I don’t know what I should fill the name.

6 comments:

Vincent said...

Vincent is fine by me. Now we must find a name for you. How about an Italian suffix?

"To indicate smallness or express affection or endearment, add the common suffixes such as -ino/a/i/e, -etto/a/i/e, -ello/a/i/e, and -uccio, -uccia, -ucci, -ucce."

Keikina? Keikella? Keikuccia? (the ending in a signifies feminine).

jiturajgor said...

Keiko is very appropriate for you "The adored one" isn't it? My name is 'Jitendra' Jit=victory, Indra = king of heaven [the person who defeated king of heaven]. I am happy with 'Jitu' as my father,mother,close friends and my beloved wife calls me by that name.In my medical hostel,friends used to call me 'Jitu the Boss'.

Rebb said...

I love this post, Keiko. It's fun to hear you think through naming and of course you made me laugh throughout and with your closing sentences :)

Rebb or Reb. Whichever you prefer. I've gotten used to seeing Rebb, but either one is fine. I agree with Jitu that Keiko suits you. I like the way it sounds and looks, and it seems to match your friendly, caring, and funny nature.

keiko amano said...

Vincent,

In high school, I named friends nicknames, but I never had one. Even Cake, I liked it. So you and Luciana can call me Keikuccia. And Jitu and Rebb can continue calling me Keiko.

Jitu,

My Keiko is written as 啓子. 啓 means open. 啓蒙means democracy, and 啓示 means apocalypse. So I like the meaning of 啓. I don't know which one is "The adored one." Maybe 敬子 or 恵子. Keiko can be in many different kanji. 圭子,慶子、景子 and so on. They have different meanings.

I like the meaning of your name.


Rebb,

Thank you. On this blog site, I hope to open up more and make you laugh more. And I hope to take more chances. So, watch out! Here I come.

jiturajgor said...

I know atleast two meanings for your name.
one
http://baby-names.adoption.com/search/Keiko.html
second
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Keiko
Take whatever you like or both, as both have good meanings.

keiko amano said...

Jitu,

I didn't know this comment. I'm sorry for delay in response.

I thought about what I replied to you about Adored one. 恵 is not. Adored one or Glad or rejoice do not ring a bell at all for any Keiko. I have no idea of the source. But I'm no expert of kanji, so you have to ask the author of that site. And those sites show Keiko but no kanji for it, so how can they interpret the meaning?